How to stop snoring - snoring remedies and Treatment option
Snoring is the obstruction of the airway during sleep when the muscles and tissues at the back of the throat relaxed during sleep. When air moves across the relaxed tissues during inhalation, the tissues vibrate generating the incredible noise level, which can be a staggering 60 to 90 decibels.
It has been estimated that around 45% of men and 30% of women are habitual snorers. Some snoring is caused by certain triggers such as having a cold or flu, drinking large amounts of alcohol, taking certain medications and certain allergies such as hay fever or allergic rhinitis so in these circumstances, a person would only snore during specific times of their lives. However, for others it is an ongoing problem. Snoring can affect anyone from overweight people to slim people. It is thought that as you age and gain weight, your chances of becoming a snorer increase greatly.
Snoring can also be caused by a weakness in the muscles of the throat and tongue, by having obstructed nasal passages or by having a long soft palate and by disposition of the jaw brought on by muscle tension.
Luckily, there are many different snoring solutions available to try. Dentists can take an impression of your jaw and teeth and fit you with an anti-snoring mouth guard.
1. over counter Snoring Remedies
There are many well-known snoring solutions and snoring aids in the market such as snoring mouthpiece , snoring chin strap and snoring spray .
- Snoring Mouthpiece : This snoring remedy help you to bring your lower jaw forward a bit to make the back of your throat less crowded . Click here to learnhow snoring mouthpiece works
- Nasal strips may also work to lift nasal passages and open them up . These adhesive strips pull open the nasal passages and giving you better airflow
- Snoring chin strap is a snoring remedy that straps around the jaw and head to prevent the mouth from falling open during sleep, which encourages nasal breathing and prevents snoring.
- Humidifier : In case cold or nasal congestion is behind your snoring , running humidifier in your bedroom at night . This encourages your sinuses to drain, shrinking nasal mucous and improving airflow to reduce snoring.
- Snoring sprays work by contracting the soft palate tissues which will prevent the vibrations in the soft tissues
- Continuous Positive Airflow Pressure (CPAP) is a bedside machine that blows pressurized air into a mask which fits snugly over your nose and face which help you keep your airway open during sleep.
2.Lifestyle changes to stop snoring
Snoring can be triggered by various lifestyle choices such as smoking, drinking alcohol, poor diet, and obesity to name the most common snoring causes . If you change your lifestyle by eliminate alcohol, drug, and cigarettes and lose weight if you are carrying excess pounds , then these changes will help you to reduce snoring even stop snoring and make positive changes in your health.
- Losing weight and exercise : fatty tissue in the back of the throat will put pressure on your passageways, causing snoring. Losing even a little bit of weight can decrease or even stop snoring .
- Avoid drinking Alcohol : Alcohol is a common cause of snoring as it over relaxes the soft tissues and muscles in the throat, which then narrows the airway during sleep and causes snoring.
- Stop smoking : Smoking usually increased congestion in the nasal passages and mucous in the throat, which combined lead to snoring
- Avoid heavy meals and Caffeine before bedtime : Ingesting dairy products before bed relax the muscles in the throat . Also, rich foods like cake and chocolate can cause similar problems
- Avoid Sleeping Pills : Certain drugs may cause the same effect particularly tranquilizers.
3.Natural Snoring solutions
When sleeping on your back, gravity pulls the tongue, jaw down, and back. This causes the jaw to open and the tongue falls into the airway and narrows the airway. One of the most effective snoring solutions is to raise your sleeping position by a few inches by using multiple pillows or raising your bed slightly.
- Extra Pillows : Using snoring pillow will open your airway more, which prevents the back of the throat from collapsing and causing snoring.
- Sleep on your side. Avoid sleeping on your back, as gravity makes it more likely for your tongue and soft tissues to drop and obstruct your airway.
- Singing : Singing for 15 minutes, a day is meant to help because it exercises the airways and muscles in the throat.
4. Medical Treatment and Surgery
Snoring solutions that are more radical include medical intervention and Snoring Surgery as well as investigations into sleep apnea. Medical options include and injection into the mouth to stiffen the upper palate, which reduces the vibration, that causes snoring. A surgical option works in a similar way. The surgeon uses a laser, scalpel, or radiofrequency device to scar and stiffen throat tissues to reduce vibration.
- Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (UPPP) : This is a general anesthesia surgery procedure used to remove excess tissue in the throat to widen the airway.
- Laser-Assisted Uvulopalatoplasty (LAUP) : This procedure involves vaporising the free edge of the soft palate and uvula using a laser .You may requiring up to four sessions in order to obtain the desired effect .
- Radio-Frequency Ablation (Somnoplasty) : This procedure use a low-intensity radiofrequency signal to shrink redundant tissue of the soft palate. Generally, the patient requires to undergo several treatment session
- The Pillar procedure : A noninvasive surgical treatment for mild-to-moderate sleep apnea and snoring . The doctor inserts 3 short pieces of polyester string into the soft palate which helps to reduce the vibration and movement of the soft palate.
If you are a permanent snorer who snores very loudly, gasps and chokes while you are asleep and you feel exhausted during the day, you should consult your doctor. You will probably be referred to a specialist sleep clinic where you will be monitored to see if you are suffering from sleep apnea (a condition which occurs because of snoring when you can actually stop breathing during sleep). A specialist will probably either recommend that you have continuous positive airway pressure by wearing a mask while you sleep, or you may need surgery.Surgery is usually a last resort , if all other snoring solutions have failed.